Thursday 3 December 2015

BBQ Chicken Wrapped in Bacon Glazed in Tamarind BBQ Sauce

This dish is so delicious!  The first time I made this it was heavenly.  Two of my favourite meats combined together to make this fantastic finish thanks to www.caribbeanpot.com.

When I initially saw the recipe, I was a bit hesitant but because I love cooking and trying out recipes so much, I decided to give this recipe a try.  My oh my I was not disappointed.  My daughter always asks me now when am I making it again.  This recipe also showed me how it is good to be creative in the kitchen.  After all, this is how the most famous dishes came about and ended up in recipe book.  There is a saying "don't knock it until you try it" and I am happy that I did.



Here’s an example of a creative dish on www.caribbeanpot.com

You’ll Need…
12 chicken drumsticks (skinless)
pinch salt
1 teaspoon orange zest
pinch black pepper
juice 1/2 orange
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 strips bacon
2 birds eye pepper
1 teaspoon Caribbean green seasoning
10 strips of your fav bacon as well as some toothpicks.
* 3/4 cup tamarind bbq sauce or your choice of bbq sauce.



Wash and drain the chicken, then season with the all of the ingredients mentioned above, except the BBQ sauce. Cover and allow to marinate for about two hours.
Shake of the pieces of pepper (leave it it you want the kick) and wrap each piece of chicken with a strip of bacon, then use a toothpick to secure it on.
On a relatively hot grill (brush some vegetable oil on the grilling grates) place the bacon wrapped chicken pieces away from direct heat. The idea is to grill with indirect heat so you don’t char the outside and have it still raw inside.
Grill as you would normally grill.
Tip:  Place you tamarind BBQ sauce (or any fav sauce you decide to use) in a metal cup and let it gently heat on top of your grill, so you’re not basting your chicken pieces with cold sauce.
The last five minutes of cooking is when you’d place the chicken on direct heat (low) and start brushing them with that lovely tamarind BBQ sauce.
Remember to remove the toothpicks before serving or at least warm your guests that they’re there. This will be an avalanche of flavors, from the herb marinade, the freshness of the orange zest and juice, the smokiness of the bacon and  the delightful flavor of that homemade tamarind BBQ sauce will be brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment