Tuesday 10 November 2015

Cassava Pone

Cassava pone is heavenly.  It is a popular sweet during Christmas season for Trinis.  I grew up in St. Vincent so it wasn't so common there.  My mom is a Trinidadian so we were fortunate to always have this dish. 

The worse part for me in doing this recipe is the grating of the cassava.  I hated it when my mom asked me to do this.  However, I was the first to want to taste when it was finished. 

Since the cassava pone is not so common in St. Vincent, my mom is always asked to make it for functions, weddings or church gatherings.  The smell of cassava pone baking and the aroma it gives, opens anyone appetite and have you hungry for hours because it takes a while to bake.  The other worse feeling is trying to eat a hot piece of cassava pone and getting it stuck to the roof of your mouth.  Look trouble.  Anyway, feel free to try out recipe below...

Recipe:

2 cups grated cassava (yuca)
1 cup grated coconut, fresh or dried, unsweetened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tbsp butter, melted...
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla extract


Directions:


In a large bowl combine all ingredients. Transfer to a greased 8 inch square baking dish in a 350 degree F over until brown and firm to the touch.


Cut into small squares and serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment