Thursday 19 November 2015

Macaroni Pie Recipe - The Caribbean Sunday Favourite

What can I say?  This is a must have in every West Indian home on a Sunday.  It is still my favourite pie dish.  I used to hate it when my mom wake me on Sunday mornings to make this dish.  My sisters were always in bed sleeping and because I was the eldest, I had to be the one to help mom cook.  As a child growing up, I was upset to have my sleep forced from my eyes but now I am very grateful I had those shortened sleep.  One of the first errors I made when attempting to make this pie as a child was adding too much milk in it.  It took forever for this pie to come out of the oven and my mom kept saying that I was going to finish her gas.  It is good that I can look back at these memories and laugh. 

Macaroni Pie is one dish that everyone in the Caribbean knows how to make.  At my workplace we do an annual potluck where everyone has to bring a dish. I swear sometimes it is a macaroni pie convention.  All different varieties of this heavenly pasta dish is always displayed all over the lunch tables. 

In my opinion, the best way to eat this pie is when it is hot, just out of the oven.  Tasting this melted cheese and pasta combination makes you scream with pleasure.  It is even better with Trinidad Callaloo (look out for a future post on how to make this) or Stew (Chicken, Beef, Pork or Fish). Make sure to get a bit of this delicious pie on your next visit to the Caribbean or try making it for yourself with the recipe below.

Recipe:


INGREDIENTS:

1 (14 ounce)package of elbow macaroni.
2 cups milk, evaporated milk or half & half
4 cups of grated cheddar cheese.
2 eggs
3 ounces of butter
half grated onion
1 clove garlic
2 stalks scallion
1/2 cup chopped green peppers (optional.)
1 large bowl to combine ingredients
Salt add for taste

METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
1.  Cook the macaroni in salted water until it is well done, or follow instructions on package. Drain well.

2. Place the onion, garlic, scallion, green pepper and hot pepper in a blender with a little milk and puree and set aside.

3. Mix eggs and remaining milk together in a bowl and set aside.

4.  Grease a 10" x 16" casserole dish with the butter, this is to ensure that the pie don't stick to dish or use Pam cooking spray.

5.  Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

6.  Mix the hot macaroni in a big bowl with the butter, add some of the cheese and set aside 1 cup of cheese add all of the seasoning mixture and mix until all melted cheese form a sauce.

7.  Once everything is combined, add the egg and milk mixture and mix well.

8.  Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with remaining cheese evenly.

9.  Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown, crusty and the milk is well absorbed. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.

RECIPE NOTES: To add variety to this recipe, you can add corn, grated carrots or mixed vegetables from your supermarket freezer isle. Eat and enjoy. -


See more at: http://www.caribbeanchoice.com/recipes/recipe.asp?recipe=817#sthash.mCJgMy2z.dpuf






No comments:

Post a Comment