Tuesday 10 November 2015

Flour Parsad

Parsad is a traditional sweet served at Hindu religious ceremonies in Trinidad and other islands in the Caribbean.  It is a mixture of flour and/or cream of wheat, raisins, ginger and ground cardamom.  A syrup made with milk, sugar and water is then used to bring the mixture together, which resulted in a fluffy soft indulgent dessert.

This is by far my favourite dish during the Divali celebrations.  I look forward to this every year.  I also visit the Divali Nagar in Chaguanas especially to get a taste of the treat.  This year I couldn't make it to the festival and decided to make my own.  I got the recipe from simplytrinicooking website and I must say that it turned out great.   It is very easy to make and the ingredients are very easy to find.


FLOUR PARSAD
1 tin evaporated milk
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp ground elychee ( cardamom)
1 cup raisins
1 tbsp. grated ginger
1/2 lb unsalted butter or ghee
2 cups flour


bring to a boil the milk, sugar, elychee and ginger
set aside

In another pot melt the butter or ghee

Add raisins

after about 2 minutes, add flour and stir continuously






Stir until the mixture achieves a golden brown colour
Note: You will also notice that the raisins have become plump. A good indication that it is ready for the milk.

Pour in the milk and continue stirring …



until it leaves the sides of the pot and looks fluffy in appearance.


These are my pictures from making Parsad....



Read more: http://www.simplytrinicooking.com/trini-parsad-ii-flour-parsad/#ixzz3rALMZTuY

No comments:

Post a Comment